Hi there! I’ve been playing with my camera this week and had a hankering for a spot of baking so made a wee video of my favourite fail safe bakes. You literally cannot go wrong with these wee buns – even if you overfill the cases or cook them for a little too long (as I did!)
The secret to keeping them deliciously moist is to glaze them with a drop of warm honey when they are just out of the oven. The honey seals in the moisture so that they don’t turn into frisbees on day two. Hurrah!
Here are the ingredients you need to make 12 cupcakes:
115g / 4oz soft tub margarine
115g / 4oz light soft brown sugar
100g / 3 1/2oz self-raising flour, sifted
1/2tsp baking powder
2tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
4 canned pear halves, drained and sliced
2tbsp runny honey, warmed
(*I also add 1tsp vanilla extract. I think it enhances the flavour – let me know if you agree!)
* Preheat your oven to 190°C / 375°F / Gas Mark 5. Put your bun cases in your bun tray.
* Put your margarine, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder, cocoa powder (and vanilla extract) into a large bowl and beat together with an electric whisk until just smooth, (ie. a minute or two.)
* Spoon the mixture into your bun cases and smooth the tops. Try not to overfill – ideally you want to be able to see the pear sitting on top after baking but it’s not a disaster if they slide down into the mixture.
* Arrange two pear slices on top of each cupcake.
* Bake in your preheated oven until cooked, (around 20 minutes), before transferring to a wire rack.
* I put a bread board under the rack as the next stage can get a bit dribbly!
If you have a pastry brush use it to glaze each bun with a little of your warmed honey. (I warmed mine in the microwave in 10 second bursts – careful not to boil it by leaving it in too long). If you don’t have a pastry brush a teaspoon will do rightly. Allow to cool.
* Pop the kettle on and make a nice cuppa.
* Enjoy the fruits of your labour. Quality control is very important in baking!
Don’t forget you can win some delicious Titanic Tea and a whole host of other prizes by following my blog via WordPress or Bloglovin’ – both buttons are at the top, right hand side of this post. The giveaway closes this Sunday 25th January and the winner will be picked at random and announced here on the blog so make sure you check back to see if you’re a winner!
What are your favourite bakes? Why not share them in the comments below – the easier the better!
Have a great start to your week!